Sunday, October 17, 2010

New Perspective

It hit me like a truck.

I've worn this ring almost everyday since mission trip 2010 and I always knew what it meant, but it finally hit me exactly why it applied to me. I'm so glad it did, but boy did it hurt. I'm selfish, and don't realize what I have until it's gone, or meets a risk factor. I realized this just randomly, when I noticed that i complain at as simple things as having to walk up my drive way when there is the option to be driven, or having to bring up the garbage when I'm tired in the car. There is no excuse to complain for any of these things. These things are so easy and painless i should JUMP at the chance to do them. But I dont. Truth is, I probably never will be excited to do chores, but still- my ring says Undeserved 2010. And that always strikes me as 2 things

1. undeserved- i dont deserve anything i have. i'm not going to pray to God and ask Him to take it all away, but i'm sure not grateful enough for it, or at least, i dont show it.

2. underserved- sometimes i add that one extra letter so i can think about this- how often do i serve Him? I mean, Jesus died on the cross for me, and I cant serve him with all of my heart, soul, and will? False. I need to start.

Now i'm sorry this has been really deep, i do actually have some really positive points for this, but I just needed to get that out because it's really been building up. And i am so grateful for that. Sometimes a pain as minor as knowing that you're not appreciating his love as much as you need to helps all the more. My friend Hannah told me something back in the tennis season, it's kinda her motto, I guess. She always smiles. I mean always. This girl was being crushed in tennis only because the girl serving was calling the points wrong, and she smiled away, and kept playing. She played great. She was working on a project for a very challenging class, and she was still smiling. I've never seen her not smile, to make it better- she has dimples :). I'm trying to use that outlook on life, because the more i think about it the more it makes sense.

Everything is His own, and is definitely worth smiling over.

Be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead!

- I Peter 1:6

Today in Faith Development classes ( i teach 1st grade) we were teaching them a very small scale version of an important thing to know- everything happens for a reason; dont lose hope or faith if your prayers dont always come just as you ask them. If you've ever seen Bruce Almighty, this will be a very easy comparison- if all prayers were answered "yes" there would be some counter-prayers and everything would just blow up in your face. I mean, if you pray that the Vikings win tonight (please....) and another person prays that they lose horribly, both won't be answered. Even though its a silly prayer anyways judging by how much else there is in this world to pray for. But the point is, it comes out not in our favor, but in our intent. We will not always get what we ask for, because of the fact that His plan is greater and comes out just the way he wants it too. He knows whats best, dont get upset, just go with it. He is amazing, and I will never stop praying, and having faith in Him, because He never has and never will in me.

Be content with what you have, for God has said, "Never
will I leave you; never will I forsake you." So say with
confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid."

- Hebrews 13:5,6

No comments: