Monday, February 28, 2011

Authenticity

au·then·tic·i·ty

[aw-then-tis-i-tee,aw-thuhn-]
–noun
the quality of beingauthentic;genuineness.

What do you find to be "authentic?" Do you think about the authenticity of a song you have on your iPod? The labels on the clothes you wear? The authorization on works of art, literature, or otherwise? What about religion? Do you ever associate those words together? I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the following was found on Facebook:

You can't just stand in a garage and say "I'm a car."
You can't just stand in a church and say "I'm a Christian."

Being Christian is so much more than a label. Christianity was illegal before it was as hugely popular as it is now. Back when it Christianity was strictly Catholicism, it would be worth the death penalty if you were found to be Catholic. People would secretly go and preach to each other and follow their religion because it was worth it.

They didn't care that if they were caught they could be put to death. That's dedication. On that note, I'm going to contradict myself. I love the sincerity when someone says they would die for a cause or someone, but I think it's somuch more effective to say that you would live for a cause. Dying for something is powerful-and it says something, but a life is so fragile and important that it's worth so much more to dedicate your life to something.

Now think of it like this, Jesus did both. Jesus gave up His whole life devoted to preach God's word to those of all classes. He made miracles happen with nothing but prayer and mud. If that wasn't amazing enough already, He gave up His life for a bunch of rebels who didn't even know Him. Could you die for a stranger? Could you live for a stranger? Could you die for a foe? Could youlive for them? Family, friends, and loved ones it's easy to say yes, I would lay down my life for them. Now what if it weren't someone you were close to, knew, or even liked. That makes things harder. Jesus would have no problem with it. That is love.

God is love, and God is inside of all of us. So it's a mind-boggling thought to think that even if someone is horrible to you, God is inside their heart. God loves them, even if you don't. The song I'm listening to right now is actually helping me to prove my point-

"Jesus paid much to high a price
for us to pick and choose who to come,
and we are the Body of Christ"
-If we Are the Body
-Casting Crowns

To love God is to love both your friends and enemies. God is in all of us, and we don't get to just go around and say... oh they don't count. They do. They're beautiful to God; they're amazing, and perfect. So are you. Love them, even if you don't get the same reaction. At the very least, pray for them.

I've been absent for quite some time, and it's been tearing me apart. But one thing that hasn't changed is my ability to completely change subjects without realizing it. Back on track, though, to love everyone- neighbors and enemies alike- is not only one of the Ten Commandments, but it is a decent definition for Christian Authenticity. As Christians, we are followers of Christ. We know that. Christ preached about how amazing and truly awesome His Father, God, is. God is love. We are God's children, let's act like it.


I'm in the middle of feeling horrible. I haven't blogged since New Years... and none of my blog posts have been "me". That's not who I am, that's just me trying to be a stereotypical blogger. I'm getting back into the groove, though. I promise. I'm listening to my Christian peers and it's helping me to grow even deeper in faith, closer to Him. It's great to be back. (:

No comments: